Little about Manali
Manali is a hill station in Himachal Pradesh and one of the top tourist destinations in North India. This famous resort town in India is located in the northern end of the Kullu Valley in the foothills of the Himalayas with spectacular views of the mountainous regions especially of the snowcapped peaks of the Himalayas. Manali is located in Kullu Valley which is called the “Valley of the Gods”. Tourism in Himachal Pradesh is not complete without mentioning Shimla and Manali which are the most famous places to visit in the state.
Weather and Best Time to Visit
Manali has moderate summers and very cold snowy winters making it a perfect tourist destination. In the summers the maximum temperature remains low with an average temperature of 25 degrees and minimum temperatures can go below freezing. The monsoon season sees rainfall, especially heavy rainfall in July and August and the winters see a lot of snowfall. It is also one of the best places to visit in India in June to beat the heat.
The spring and summer months are the best time to visit and for people who want to see the snowfall in the area, December and January are ideal times to visit. There are many tourist attractions in Manali and the following are some of the best tourist places to visit in the town:
Best Tourist Attractions in Manali
1. Hidimba Temple
One of the best tourist attractions in the town is the famous Hidimba Temple. In the Indian epic of Mahabharata, Bhima’s wife was Hidimba. The Hidimba Temple is dedicated to Hidimba and is located in the beautiful cedar forest called Dhungiri Van Vihar.
- This temple was built in the 16th century and it is one of the top places to visit in Manali, especially, for tourists who like visiting religious pilgrimage destinations in the various cities and towns in India.
- The temple was built in the Pagoda style architecture and is a perfect place to visit to see the architectural and cultural history of the region.
2. Club House
Club House is a popular tourist destination in Manali. This tourist hotspot is located on the famous Mall Road area of Manali. It is a great place in Manali with many things to do for tourists making it one of the best places to visit in Manali.
- Tourists can enjoy the bar, the restaurant, the library, the auditorium, the billiards room, and even the famous roller skater rink at this place in the resort town.
- This place is run by the Himachal Pradesh government and is a great place for groups of tourists to visit as there are many fun games like carom, table tennis, and pool available at the Club House in Manali.
3. Vashisht Hot Water Springs
Vashisht is a small village in Himachal Pradesh near Manali. The Vashisht Temple is a major tourist destination in the area. This village is known for the sulfurous hot water springs that naturally exist in this area.
- This is one of the most famous places to visit in Manali as the hot springs in this area are known to have healing properties that fight skin diseases and different types of infections.
- Turkish style baths are built in this area separate for men and women where these natural hot water springs can be used to take healing baths.
4. Maa Sharvari Temple
Another popular temple in Manali is the Maa Sharvari Temple. Maa Sharvari Devi is an ancient deity of the region and has been worshipped since the time of the Kullu Kings.
- This temple is located on the beautiful snowy slopes of the region and there are a lot of festivities during the time of the Dussehra festival as this is the best time to visit the temple.
- The temple is a beautiful place to visit and it is said the Maa Sharvari Devi was a manifestation of the Goddess Durga. It is an important temple for the locals and an essential part of the local history.
5. Museum Of Himachal Culture And Folk Art
One of the best places to visit in Manali city is the Museum Of Himachal Culture and Folk Art. For the people visiting Manali, interested in the culture and the history of the region, this is a great option.
- This temple is often visited with the Hidimba Temple as it is located very close to this tourist attraction. This museum showcases traditional antiques, artifacts and even masks, utensils and wooden carvings that have been part of the history of the region.
- It displays Kullu culture in an effective way and many tourists visit this museum on their trip to Manali.
6. Siyali Mahadeo Temple
Manali is a great place to visit in Northern India for people interested in Hindu religious temples and like to visit the beautiful temples in India. Siyali Mahadeo Temple is one the oldest temple in Manali and is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- The temple has beautiful ancient architecture and is situated in the scenic mountainous regions of Manali. It is the perfect place to visit for tourists.
- People from all religious backgrounds are welcome at the temple and the religious importance and the natural surroundings give a calming vibe to the people visiting this temple in Manali.
7. Nehru Kund
One of the popular places to visit in Manali is Nehru Kund. This tourist attraction is located around 6 kilometers from the city center in Manali and a great place to visit in this region.
- As the name suggests this is a natural spring that is named after India’s first Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. The beautiful natural spring with freshwater is sourced from Bhrigu Lake.
- This is a peaceful place to visit with only the sound of the spring and many people like to visit Nehru Kund for a beautiful calming time and are part of many Manali sightseeing tours.
8. Jogini Falls
This is considered a small untouched paradise away from the hustle and bustle of the modern world and a great destination for people who want to see the natural beauty of this world.
- It is named after the goddess Jogini. The Jogini Waterfalls trek is a famous trek that many tourists enjoy while visiting Manali. The scenic cascading falls and the beautiful mountainous region makes it the most authentically thrilling places to visit in the valley.
- It is one of the most popular places to visit near the city. Jogini falls on the stream running downhill from the Beas River. This famous Kullu Valley falls are top places to visit in Manali for couples.
9. Manu Temple
One of the most important temples in the city is Manu Temple. This temple of Manu Rishi is the only temple dedicated to the sage in India. Manu is known to be the creator of the earth in Hindu religious text and this temple situated on the banks of River Beas is a perfect place to visit in Manali.
Information about the Temple
- This is a prominent place for worship for the people of the town. It is also located just three kilometers from the main city market in the area.
- Manu Rishi was the writer of Manusmriti and it is a one of a kind temple in India so most people visiting Manali often visit this temple on their trip to Manali.
10. Tibetan Monasteries
Mountainous regions of Himachal Pradesh have a huge Tibetan population. Over the course of history, many famous Tibetan Monasteries have been built in Manali and have become major tourist attractions in this area.
Tibetan Monasteries in Manali
- Gadhan Thekchoking Gompa is one of the most famous monasteries in this area. This monastery is located near the Mall Road area of the city. The Tibetan handicrafts and the beautiful carpets that are woven at the monastery and then sold to the tourists make it a great place to visit.
- The other famous monastery in the region is the Himalayan Nyingamapa Gompa monastery. Both the monasteries have beautiful Lord Buddha statues and great architecture and are some of the best places to visit in Manali.
11. Mall Road
The main road in Manali is called Mall Road. Mall road is the top shopping area in the city and most tourists visit this area as there are great shops for people visiting this hill station. Only emergency vehicles are allowed on Mall Road and it is a vehicle-free road which makes it ideal for shopping.
Attractions on Mall Road
- This is the main area of the city and most government buildings are located here. There are important offices in the area like the municipal corporation, the fire service department, and the police headquarters is also located here.
- Handicraft items are sold at the Himachal Emporium. Cafes and restaurants are all located in the Mall Road area and it is perfect for all kinds of local shopping. It has showrooms, departmental stores, and various types of shops in this area.
- Woolen clothes, pottery items, handicrafts, local cultural souvenirs and also branded clothes and jewelry are all available in this area making it the perfect shopping destination in Manali.
12. Old Manali
Manali is an old town in Himachal Pradesh which has grown over the last few years. The Old Manali part of town is a great place to visit for tourists in Manali. The Manalsu River passes through the old part of the town.
Old Manali – Tourist Hotspot
- Old Manali has beautiful villages and traditional houses. There are amazing apple orchards in the area, and this part of town is filled with little cafes and restaurants selling traditional food.
- Old Manali has quaint hotels, guest houses and has a famous Old Manali market. It has a rustic charm and sells traditional clothes, bohemian jewelry, colorful woolen clothes, and small local artifacts. It is one of the best places to visit in Manali in November or any other month of the year.
13. Van Vihar
Manali and its surrounding areas are known for its scenic natural beauty and the flora and fauna in the area. This is the National Park is located in Manali and is a major tourist attraction in this area. Van Vihar is located near central Manali near the Mall Road area of the city.
Key Information about Van Vihar
- Van Vihar is known for the sky-high Deodar trees and lush vegetation in various shades of green. It has a beautiful manmade lake and is a great place for tourists to spend a day with friends and family.
- This is a great place to have a picnic, go for a jog and spend time at the beautiful park. The manmade lake in it is a major attraction in the city as there are boat rides on the lake which are very famous in Manali.
14. Manali Sanctuary
Manali Sanctuary is one of the best wildlife sanctuaries in the state of Himachal Pradesh. This wildlife sanctuary is around 2 kilometers from the city and it showcases the natural habitat, vegetation and also the wildlife in the area.
Manali Sanctuary – The Vegetation and Wildlife
- Some of the animals that can be witnessed in the sanctuary include Musk Deer, leopards, snow leopards, Ibex and Monal to name a few making it one of the great places to visit in Manali.
- Manali has dense forests and many sky-high trees which makes it a beautiful place to visit for nature lovers. This includes trees like Deodar, Horse Chestnut, Walnut, Maple and Kail to name a few. This is a protected area for over 50 years and this sanctuary is necessary to protect the ecosystem of the area.
The above-mentioned tourist places are the best places to visit in Manali. Himachal Pradesh tourism department promotes Manali as one of the best places to visit in the state for different types of tourists. It is an important tourism revenue generator and a great place to visit with quality tourist infrastructure.